Norvell Airbrush Tan
The principle tanning agent used in all self-tanning formulas is dihydroxyacetone (DHA). This ingredient does not produce a “real tan” by increasing the skin’s melanin levels, rather it creates a tanned appearance by developing a brown color on the surface of the skin. The action of DHA is limited to the upper layer of the skin and involves a reaction between DHA and skin proteins and oxygen that produces brown compounds. This process is similar to what occurs when you slice open an apple and the surface of the apple browns when it’s exposed to the oxygen in the air. The development of color takes anywhere from 2 to 4 hours and the intensity of color is dependent upon the DHA concentration in the product as well as each tanner’s individual skin characteristics. The color developed by the DHA usually lasts 5 to 7 days and begins to fade as the top layer of the skin naturally exfoliates.
It is important to keep skin moisturized after sunless tanning as dry, flaky skin will slough off faster and color will fade sooner. You basically want to slow down your body’s natural exfoliation process.
Sunless tan-extending products with a light self-tanning bronzer, like Norvell® Amber Sun™ Pro-long™, help hydrate skin and maintain even,
natural-looking color longer by providing subtle bronzers.
The key to a perfect Airbrush Tan is: PREPARATION!
Don’t make these common mistakes:
• Hair removal should be done before your airbrush tan.
• Exfoliate your whole body fully before your airbrush tan.
• Your skin should be clean and dry before your airbrush tan;
• Do not apply lotions, deodorant, and skip bar soap because soap residue interferes with tanning results.
• Wear dark, loose fitting clothes immediately after your airbrush.
• After you get your airbrush, wait at least 4 hours before showering or sweating.
• Sleep in your tan to prolong its life; Shower in the A.M.
• If sleeping in the solution, wear long & loose clothes to sleep in.
• Do not leave the airbrush solution on longer than 24 hours. This will not prolong your airbrush further, it will over-process it.
• Hair appointments should be met before your airbrush tan.
• Mani/ Pedi(s) should be done before your airbrush tan.
• For maximum results, so that tan does not come off unevenly, moisturize daily (after each shower) with an oil-free body lotion.
• If your want to enjoy consistent color, we suggest an appointment once a week.
• Enjoy every minute of feeling skinnier & looking sexier!